Featured Post

List of KDramas and Their Grades

To make your next drama selection a little easier, I have sorted all the Korean dramas I've watched into one list, ranked by grade. They...

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

KDrama Stars: The Guys

I wasn't planning on including a post like this, but the more I think about it, I might as well talk about the actors I have come to love after watching all these dramas :) 

First, my absolute favorite: Kang Ji-Hwan

 Let's just take a moment to appreciate this beautiful man. I've discovered that he is like the South Korean version of Johnny Depp - a versatile actor that can pull off any role swimmingly. Here are the few shows in which I've seen him:

Lie to Me (2011)
Coffee House (2010)
My Girlfriend is an Agent (film) (2009)

"Lie to Me" was the first time I saw him. It was a fabulous drama, one of my all-time favorites. After that I watched the movie "My Girlfriend is an Agent," and that's when I realized just how much talent this actor has. "Coffee House" wasn't my favorite - it's a bit too quirky for my taste - but it is yet another example of the crazy roles this guy can pull off.



Second, there is Song Seung-heon. I didn't think much of him at first, when I saw him in "Summer Scent" (2003), because that drama was pretty lame all around.


But just because a drama is bad, it doesn't necessarily mean all the actors are  bad. Case in point: Seung-heon stars in "My Princess" (2011), and he is fabulous. Lesson learned.

I haven't seen any other dramas with him in them yet, but it would be worthwhile to search out his other works.





Third, I'd like to mention Yoon Sang-hyun. He's an older actor, having his stardom start later in life, but he is also talented and worth watching.







I first watched him in the drama "My Fair Lady" (2009), which is a twist on the typical rich guy/poor girl formula. I was pleasantly surprised to see him in "Secret Garden" (2010) as a supporting actor, and while I didn't like the character nearly as much, he still did a great job. (LOVE LOVE LOVE "Secret Garden" by the way - look for its review in the near future :)



Fourth, there is Lee Min-ho, from "Boys Over Flowers" (2009). While the drama was well-written and has received rave reviews, it wasn't my favorite. It's a bit too dark and violent for my taste (more to come in my official review), but I did enjoy Min-ho's portrayal of the spoiled rich kid. 

I'm VERY excited to see him in his latest drama, a historical-fantasy released on Netflix, "Faith" (2012)!



The last South Korean actor worth some mention is Lee Seung-ki. I recently watched "Shining Inheritance" (2009), and it wasn't until that drama was nearly over when I realized I had seen one of those actors before! 

Actually, it was the hubby who pointed out I had seen him in the very fun "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho" (2010) drama. (Don't tell him I told you - he makes it a point to not be in the room while I watch my dramas :)

He's a pretty cute kid. I think I didn't recognize him while watching "Shining Inheritance" because he never, ever smiled, for the duration of the entire drama. Maybe the director was like, "Don't smile. You look like Julia Roberts swallowed a barracuda." 


There are plenty of other talented actors out there, these are just some of my favorites that keep popping up in the best shows! I'll have to make another special post in the future about the actresses I enjoy watching!


No comments:

Post a Comment