Featured Post

List of KDramas and Their Grades

To make your next drama selection a little easier, I have sorted all the Korean dramas I've watched into one list, ranked by grade. They...

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Introduction!

I started watching Korean dramas in 2013 on Netflix, and out of habit from the time I briefly reviewed movies for a local community paper, I also wrote about each show I watched. This blog is primarily for anyone looking for a recommendation, as well as a reminder for myself of which shows are worth watching again or not.

Later I started including movie reviews in my notes, for the same reasons - in case I ever started a blog, and in case I decided to share my findings. There will also be postings about Chinese and Indian foreign films on this blog.


All the shows I post about were originally found on Netflix, so if it's not available, it's because Netflix has taken the show out of its current rotation. Hulu is another place to look for these dramas, although you have to watch commercials if you use that website. Same thing with Viki. Amazon Prime offers a few kdramas as well.

This blog will be updated as I finish watching new shows.

Hopefully I will be able to make this easy to navigate and helpful for anyone wanting to try something new :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Korean dramas and foreign films!  


KDrama = Korean drama

 On average, most Korean dramas are 16 episodes long. I have watched dramas with as many as 28 episodes (usually a sign it was doing well so the writers kept going), and as few as 12. Each episode is about an hour long, and all dramas only last one season, so don't bother looking for a next season if you liked one of the shows. 

At best you'll find a show that's done in a similar vein, like "Boys Over Flowers" (2009) yielding the loosely related "Flower Boy Ramen Shop" (2011) and "Flower Boys Next Door" (2013). 

The reason I like these so much is because it's basically a 16 hour long romantic comedy, and they are clean! Minimal kissing, and if there is a bedroom scene, the characters are married and stay fully clothed. They don't really show anything.


KFilm = Korean film

Korean films are about the same length as American movies, an hour and a half. They do not have a rating system (that I know of).



ChFilm = Chinese film

Chinese films are also about the same length as American films, 90 minutes or so. They do not have a rating system (that I know of).



InFilm = Indian film

These are your typical "Bollywood" type films with lots of music and dancing, and they usually last two to two-and-a-half hours. These films are typically very clean. For some cultural reasons, Indian films shy away from on-screen kissing (meaning it is very rare to have a bedroom scene), and even the kisses are innocent. However, there is often more skin showing, as their ideas of modesty are different than ours (more bare midriffs, for example), which can sometimes make the dance numbers somewhat suggestive.



One More Note

ALL of these tv shows and movies have SUBTITLES, so if you don't like reading while you watch television, these are not for you!

Don't worry, though, you'll get faster and it will get easier over time!

No comments:

Post a Comment