Featured Post

List of KDramas and Their Grades

To make your next drama selection a little easier, I have sorted all the Korean dramas I've watched into one list, ranked by grade. They...

Friday, October 17, 2014

InFilm to Maybe Watch: Barfi! (2012)

Barfi! (2012)


The story starts in the 1970s in India, and not much is in place in society at that time to help those with disabilities lead a normal, productive life. Shruti is engaged when she meets the deaf-mute “Barfi” (that's how he pronounces his name “Murphy”), and while there is a mutual attraction, Shruti chooses the financially stable fiance over the happy but poor Barfi. Meanwhile Barfi crosses paths with a childhood friend, the autistic girl Jhilmil, and he is accused of kidnapping her for a ransom. Will Shruti come to his aid and finally choose Barfi? What will happen to Jhilmil?

*This was an interesting story, and I loved the physical comedy from Barfi's character. The cinematography was quite beautiful as well. The actor reminded me a lot of the young Dick Van Dyke in his motions and funny faces. The story between Barfi and Jhilmil reminded me of the American film “Benny & Joon” (1993), and while some enjoy that, it's not quite my taste. Again, it was a different kind of story, but I probably wouldn't watch it again because it's bittersweet. I could recommend it for one viewing, however.*

No comments:

Post a Comment